Where the Natural Rubber Meets the Road

At Lifekind, many of the products we make contain natural rubber, which can be confusing for some  who haven't tried it before. 
 
"Do you use the same kind of rubber that's in tires?” callers sometimes ask. "Is my bed going to smell like a tire store? What is it made from, exactly?"
 

Tires

While car tires and natural-rubber mattresses have their main ingredient -- natural-rubber sap -- in common, the similarities pretty much end there. Car tires have a slew of toxic substances added, such as styrene-butadiene co-polymers, oils, halogen, “accelerators,” “antiozonants” and carbon black, a delightful material made from the partial burning of coal tar and other “heavy” petroleum products to make a black, ashy powder. (The International Agency for Research on Cancer has labeled carbon black a “possible human carcinogen,” and it's a powerful respiratory irritant. Definitely not something you'd want in your bedroom!)
 Rubber_Tree_proof
In contrast, 100%-natural rubber foam is a springy, resilient, off-white material that contains about 98% rubber-tree sap in its final form. The remaining 2% is made of non-harmful materials such zinc oxide, sulfur, sodium, and fatty acids – quite a difference. (And it smells nothing like a tire store.) It's the top choice for organic mattress materials right now, and its popularity is only growing. 
 
We're always happy to send a sample to anybody who would like to check it out -- just ask. We think you'll like it.